Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Motions

So Idk how many of my readers out there know about the faith group Link that is here on SMC campus, but it meets every Wednesday night at 8, and it is a really nice time to just put things into perspective, both religious and nonreligious.

I want to begin this blog post by posting a link to a video that you can either watch/listen to, or just skip over. Even if you aren't religious you can listen/watch and think about your life in general.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaHmiFaX_pk

We listened to this song on Wednesday night and while it definitely spoke to my religious faith, I also found several parallels to my everyday life. How often do we just go through our daily routine doing the same stuff every single day? Is it because we are afraid of change? While we focused mainly on how the song related to our faith in God, we also talked about how being just okay, and how not taking chances and asking what if, are not good policies on how to live one's life.

I found that this directly related to my life, especially my life of the past few weeks. I decided that just okay wasn't gonna cut it for several aspects of my life. So I took a chance, and while one aspect has turned out well (I think), the other ended up with a huge fight with someone that I care about and need as a pillar in my life. Like the song says, "This might hurt, it's not safe/But I know that I've gotta make a change/I don't care if I break,/At least I'll be feeling something". While it definitely hurt to fight with this person, at least I was feeling something. I took the chance and now ultimately I think our friendship is a lot stronger. 


The same needed to happen in my Faith life. From Confirmation until the beginning of this school year, I lacked strong faith in my life. I think being forced to go to CCD and not being from a religious family definitely didn't help. But something I realized this summer (kinda outta the blue) was that I was lacking something in my life. Faith. I had been going through the motions of praying when I needed something, and then forgetting all about God for long lengths of time. As I said in a previous blog post, I had an epiphany about my religion last year in Philosophy class. I think that this may have triggered past of my desire to establish just what I believe when it comes to God.


I promise to all my nonreligious readers out there that I won't be writing about God, and faith every post. I just thought that this song would apply to anyone. So just think about it for a minute. What can you do to stop just going through the motions of living? What can you do but take a risk?

Until next time, live long and prosper

1 comment: