Thursday, September 16, 2010

My life is synonymous with Lighting Design?!?!

So this morning I had my Lighting Design class from 10-11:15. We were getting a demonstration on the elements of direction and intensity, and after some troubleshooting we also saw how the LED fixtures worked. (Please stick with me, I hope that the post won't be too boring for all of you that have no idea what I am talking about). I will admit that I was slightly zoning out thinking about how hungry I was, but there was one comment that John (Professor Devlin) made that caught my attention. Lighting design is all about making sure that the actors are seen on the stage, and that the desired effect comes across to the audience. But John made the interesting point that the cool thing about lighting design is that when you want to hide something, you just turn the lights off.

Now some of you are probably wondering where the hell I am going with this, and the rest of you have a vague idea of what I might be getting at, but you still don't know where the hell I am going with it. The way I handle problems in my life is to figuratively just turn off the lights. It's not that I pretend I can't see the problem, it's that I seem to turn myself off and I close down and just don't discuss it and say everything is fine.

But in reality it is not fine.

Until early this summer I never had to face any of my flaws, or discuss these imperfections or my thoughts on why certain things bug me. But then one of my friends (You so know who you are) kindly pointed out my imperfections, and I was forced to see all the things I had been trying to hide by just turning off the lights.

While turning the lights off as a lighting designer is a perfect way to end something or hide something, it is not a  way that one should handle the difficult things in their life.  You need to face life's imperfections no matter how unpleasant they are and how uncomfortable they make you.

This blog post had a better structure in my head during class this morning. Sorry that it isn't as deep as my other posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment